This information is for:
Adactus Housing Association, Beech Housing Association, Chorley Community Housing

Your Agreement With Us

Your Tenancy Agreement is an important legally binding document that details your rights and responsibilities as a tenant.  If you have any queries about the agreement you should call our connect service on 0300 111 1133. You can also view our Tenancy Quick Start Guide for a quick introduction to your tenancy.

Types of Tenancy

We offer three types of tenancies:

  • Starter Tenancy - This is the usual tenancy agreement given to new tenants 
  • Assured Tenancy - This is the usual tenancy agreement given to new tenants who have been with us for over a year
  • Assured Shorthold Tenancy - This is the usual tenancy agreement given to tenants living in households that we manage for another landlord

Your rights

The rights you have under your tenancy agreement depend on the type of agreement you have been given.  You will normally need our permission to use these rights.  Contact us if you need further advice about this. 

Tenancy Right Starter Shorthold Assured
Take in lodgers NO NO YES
Mutual exchange or transfer NO NO  YES
Carry out improvements YES NO  YES
Statutory Right to Repair YES YES YES
Partner to succeed tenancy YES YES YES
Be consulted on housing managment YES YES YES

Keeping your Promises

We can only end your tenancy by applying for a court order, but we will do so if you:

  • Don’t pay your rent and fall into rent arrears
  • Fail to look after your home
  • Provide us with false information
  • Are responsible for anti-social behaviour
  • Allow criminal acts to take place in your home
  • Breach any other condition of your tenancy

Commonly Asked Questions

1. Can I pass on my tenancy?

Yes, in certain circumstances and with strict legal conditions. If you’re an Assured Tenant you can pass on your tenancy in two different ways:

  • Succession:
    Succession is passing on a tenancy to a family member or another person living in your home upon death. We will do all we can to smooth this process.
  • Assignment
    Assignment allows you to move out of your home and pass on your tenancy to a partner or family member who has lived at the property for at least 12 months.

2. Can I take in a lodger?

Yes, if you are an Assured Tenant, but you must tell us their name and whether or not they are working or claiming benefits.

Before you take in a lodger, be aware that:

  • Your housing and council tax benefits may be affected
  • Your lodger will have no security of tenancy
  • You are responsible for your lodger’s behaviour in your home and liable if they cause a problem
  • You cannot take in a lodger if it means your home will become overcrowded

3. Can I make improvements to my home?

Yes, if you are an Assured Tenant, and provided you get written permission from us.

Before you make any improvements, be aware that:

  • You must ensure that either you or your contractor is adequately insured against damage to our property, other people’s possessions, and personal injury during the course of the work
  • We can specify that the work is done in a certain way, or to a certain standard
  • We can check that the work will not damage your home or make it unsafe
  • We can inspect works in progress and on completion
  • Our surveyor will need to inspect some kinds of structural work
  • If any work causes damage, we will either insist that you carry out the necessary repairs or charge you for them
  • Major improvements, such as the installation of central heating, will not increase your rent
  • If you remove any alterations or improvements you must provide a good quality replacement and leave the property in good order, either at or above its original standard
  • You should also always check to see if you need planning permission.
  • You may be entitled to compensation for improvements made to your home when you leave.

4. Can I swap my home with another tenant?

Yes, you can carry out something called a Mutual Exchange with another housing association tenant.

5. Can I buy my home?

If you are an Assured Tenant you may have the right to buy your home. This scheme offers housing association tenants a fixed discount on the open market value of the property.

Access to this scheme depends on how your home was funded when it was originally built or refurbished. You must live in a property that was built or refurbished with a Social Housing Grant, and where grant confirmation was received on or after 1st April 1997.

6. How do I end my tenancy?

If you have decided to move out, you must tell us in writing, giving us at least four weeks notice. You must also provide a forwarding address where we can contact you.  

Your Right to Information

As a tenant you are entitled to information from us on:

  • How well we do our job
  • How successful we are at collecting rent
  • Rent levels and how quickly we carry out repairs.

This information is available through:

  • Our website and blog
  • On request from our offices
  • Newsletters
  • Meetings

Your Right to Consultation

You have the right to be consulted by us about:

  • Changes to the conditions of your tenancy
  • Changes in the housing management and repairs service we provide
  • New major programmes of work
  • Issues that are subject of serious complaints by our tenants

We can consult you in a variety of ways:

  • Letter or other written information
  • Home visits
  • Telephone
  • In meetings
  • Surveys

Data Protection

Under the Data Protection Act, you have the right to inspect and check details we hold about you on computer or on file. (There may be a charge for this.) The only exception to this is confidential information provided by third parties.

If you wish to see this information please make your request in writing to us. You will be asked to provide identification before you can see the information. This is to protect your privacy. If you believe our information is incorrect you have the right to ask us to amend our files or record your disagreement.